Having an outdoor fireplace can make evenings spent in your garden much more enjoyable. They provide warmth, light, and create a wonderful atmosphere.
Watching a fire crackling away is a relaxing experience that you and your family and friends will love.
There are lots of outdoor fireplaces to choose from, so we have made your decision easier for you.
We have put together a list of the best outdoor fireplaces and weighed up the pros and cons to help you decide which product is going to be best for you.
Keep reading to find out more.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
If you want an outdoor fireplace that looks traditional then this product is ideal.
It is a classic, built in fireplace made out of powder coated steel with a manufactured stone finish.
It is rust resistant which means it will keep looking fresh and new for a long time. There are bronze details which look really nice when the light catches them.
The fireplace measures 24 inches by 81.5 inches by 52 inches and weighs a whopping 385.81 pounds so you know it is a sturdy product.
The design not only looks great but is incredibly practical.
The chimney directs smoke up and away so you don’t breathe it in while you are enjoying the fire. There is a cap on the chimney to stop rain from getting to the fire.
The mesh doors allow you to see the flames but also provide protection from embers.
They can be opened to give you access to the fire to add more fuel, and they can be closed firmly with a locking latch.
Underneath the fireplace is a storage area for logs, and the shelves either side of the fireplace can be used for baskets of wood.
The fireplace comes with a removable grate and a fire poker, which saves you money as you won’t need to buy these items separately.
The grate makes it easy to keep the fire clean – simply wait for it to cool down then take it out and tip the ash away before sliding it back into the fireplace.
The grate is also designed with combustion support which allows more oxygen to reach the fire, creating bigger flames through efficient air circulation.
This is quite an expensive item, but it is a large unit with some amazing features.
If you have the money to spend then this would make an excellent addition to your garden.
- Style – This outdoors fireplace has a classic style which would look great in any garden
- Construction – It is made from strong materials and is powder coated to make it rust resistant
- Chimney – the chimney cap keeps rain away from the fire, and the smoke is directed up and out of the way
- Doors – The mesh doors protect you from the fire whilst allowing you to see the flames
- Storage – There are two storage shelves and an additional storage space for logs
- Removable Grate – The removable grate makes it easier to clean the fireplace
- Combustion Support – The grate is designed to improve air circulation for bigger flames
- Poker – This fireplace comes with a poker
- Shipping – some customers found that shipping took a long time and a few units seem to have been damaged during shipping
- Price – This outdoor fireplace is quite expensive compared to other products.
If you don’t have enough money in your budget for the Atticus fireplace, this product from the Sunjoy Smith Collection would make a great alternative.
It has a beautiful black and copper design which gives it a vintage appearance. This would look great in lots of different garden spaces.
This fireplace is made out of powder-coated steel which is rust resistant – ideal for outdoor use. It is finished with a natural ceramic stone tile which looks lovely.
The fireplace weighs 113.54 pounds which is heavy enough to remain sturdy, but not so heavy that you cannot adjust the placement if you need to.
It measures 35.43 inches by 23.62 inches 56.7 inches, so it makes a nice garden feature but is not so large that it cannot be used in a smaller outdoor space.
The design of this fireplace is very useful. The chimney is tall and directs the smoke up into the air to reduce the amount of smoke that you breathe in when you are sat by the fire.
The mesh doors allow you to watch the relaxing flames whilst remaining protected from embers.
The locking latch ensures that the doors close firmly, but you can still open easily when you need to access the fire.
This fireplace comes with a poker so that you can stoke the fire. It also comes with a removable grate which makes it really easy to clean the ash after the fire.
You don’t have to spend time sweeping the fireplace- simply take the grate out and tip the ash away and then put the grate back.
The removable grate has the same combustion support feature as the Sunjoy atticus fireplace. This means that the improved air circulation will create big flames.
The fireplace is really easy to assemble with clear instructions. It sits on four steel feet to keep the fireplace raised off the ground.
This protects the ground underneath from getting too warm. This fireplace is a great mid-budget option that combines style and practicality.
- Style – This outdoor fireplace has a vintage design with a black and copper finish
- Construction – It is sturdy and strong with a rust resistant steel alloy construction
- Size – This fireplace is an ideal size as it is big enough to provide warmth and to look good, but it can still be used in smaller gardens
- Chimney – The chimney is designed to direct the smoke away
- Doors – The mesh doors provide easy access to the fire as well as protection and visibility
- Poker – You get a free fire poker with this fireplace
- Removable Grate – The removable grate makes it really easy to clean the fireplace
- Combustion Support – The air circulation creates big flames
- Assembly – The fireplace comes with clear instructions which makes it easy to assemble
- Feet – The steel feet keep the fireplace raised off the ground
- Customer Service – Some customers found that the customer service provided by Sunjoy did not meet their expectations
- Chimney Cover – There is no cap on the chimney which means that rain could extinguish the fire
If you are looking for a cheaper outdoor fireplace that still looks great then this product could be perfect for you.
It is made entirely out of heavy duty steel, with a black finish and vintage design.
The metal is not entirely rust resistant which means you will need to use a cover or move it into a storage shed or garage in adverse weather conditions.
The fireplace measures 23.3 inches by 19 inches by 43.3 inches which is a nice size for a patio area.
It weighs 24.8 pounds which is lightweight enough to be moved around – only once it has cooled – so you don’t need to commit to using it in only one location in the garden.
The assembly is very straightforward and can be completed within 30 minutes.
This outdoor fireplace is designed to be well ventilated for efficient airflow, helping to create a large and steady fire.
The tower chimney has a cap which helps to keep the rain out and protect the fire from large gusts of wind. It also channels the smoke up and away from people sitting by the fire.
The fire is visible from all angles through the mesh fire screen, with a door on one side so that you can access the fire when you need to. The mesh screen also protects you from embers.
This fireplace has a built-in storage shelf underneath the fire, which is an ideal place to store wooden logs.
The feet of the metal frame keep the hot fire up above the ground, which prevents the ground from overheating.
There is a grate inside the fireplace and it comes with a fire poker.
- Construction – This product is made from heavy duty steel which is strong and sturdy
- Size – It is a good size which is suitable for different kinds of outdoor space
- Lightweight – This fireplace is light enough to be moved into different positions
- Assembly – The assembly can be completed by one person in 30 minutes
- Ventilation – The ventilation provides oxygen to the fire to keep the flames burning well
- Chimney – The chimney has a cap to keep the rain out and it channels the smoke up and away
- Fire Screen – The mesh fire screen provides a 360 degree view of the flames and protects you, with a door for access to the fire
- Storage – There is a built in storage shelf underneath the fire for wooden logs
- Feet – The feet keep the fireplace above the ground to prevent overheating
- Rust – This fireplace is not rust resistant which means you will need to use a cover or move it indoors
This outdoor fireplace has a simple but lovely design which would look great in any garden.
It has a sturdy metal construction with a black finish. It weighs 43.56 pounds which is light enough to move around the garden to be used in different locations – but make sure it has completely cooled before you try to move it!
The fireplace measures 25.98 inches by 22.05 inches by 43.31 inches which is a great size.
It is quite low to the ground so could be placed in the center of a seating area or off to one side. The fire can be seen from all angles thanks to the mesh screen.
It also protects you from the fire and has double doors at the front for easy and convenient access to the fire.
The feet keep the fireplace raised so that the ground underneath doesn’t overheat.
The chimney of the fireplace has a cap which helps to protect the flames from wind and rain.
It has a tall design to encourage the smoke up and away from the people sitting around the fireplace.
There is a wood grate which allows the air to circulate around the fire, keeping the flames burning high.
The ash tray can be removed which makes it really easy to clean up after using the fire.
This fireplace is suitable for outdoor cooking such as grilling meat or toasting marshmallows, and it is the perfect height for this so you won’t be stooping over.
This is a very affordable option for a modern outdoor fireplace.
- Design – The design is simple but looks really good with a black finish
- Lightweight – It is lightweight enough to be moved around to different spots in the garden
- Size – This fireplace will fit in lots of different outdoor spaces
- Screen – The mesh screen protects you from embers and keeps the fire visible from all angles
- Doors – The double doors allow you to access the fire easily
- Chimney – The chimney has a cap to protect the fire from the rain and it channels the smoke away
- Ash Tray – There is a removable ash tray which makes it really easy to clean the fire
- Grate – The grate keeps the wood lifted so the air can circulate and oxygen can reach the fire
- Cooking – This fireplace is ideal for outdoor cooking
- Rust – This fireplace is not completely rust resistant which means that you will need to purchase a cover to keep it protected in adverse weather
This metal outdoor fireplace has a lovely design which is classic, but the black finish makes it also look modern.
This means it would be suitable for lots of different types of outdoor spaces. It measures 25 inches by 43.3 inches by 20.07 inches which makes it an ideal size.
The mesh fire screen allows you to see the fire from all angles which is great for when you’re sitting in a circle.
There is a door on the front which allows you to access the fire whenever you need to. The mesh screen protects people sitting around the fire from stray embers.
The fireplace is raised off the ground by metal feet. This prevents the ground underneath the fire from overheating.
The Chimney has a large vaulted chimney which is great for directing the smoke away from you whilst also keeping the fire well ventilated.
The cap on the chimney keeps the fire protected from rain and wind.
The assembly for this fireplace is really easy with clear instructions and no special tools required. It is really simple to clean the fireplace as there is a removable ash tray.
There is also a removable cooking surface which makes grilling easier.
- Design – This is a classic style fireplace with a black finish
- Size – It is a perfect size for large or small outdoor areas
- Screen – The mesh screen gives you a 360 degree view of the flames and protects you from the embers
- Door – The door on the front of the fireplace gives you convenient access to the fire
- Chimney – The chimney is tall with a cap to protect the fire and it channels the smoke away
- Ventilation – The fireplace is well ventilated which ensures large flames
- Assembly – The assembly is simple and easy to complete
- Convenience – There is a removable ash tray and cooking surface which makes it easier to clean
- Rust – This fireplace is not entirely rust resistant which means that you will need to purchase a cover
Best Outdoor Fireplace Buying Guide
Now that you know which products we recommend, you need to decide which one is going to be best for you. Here are a few things that you should consider.
First you need to decide on your budget. An outdoor fireplace can range from less than 100$ to over 1000$.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a good fireplace, but it depends on what you are looking for.
Next you should think about how much space you have in your garden. You don’t want to buy a fireplace that is going to take up too much of your patio and leave you with nowhere to sit.
Some outdoor fireplaces are rust resistant which is very convenient. Others need to be covered in certain weather conditions or even brought indoors. This could make a difference to which product you choose.
Finally, you should consider the design of the fireplace. Would you prefer a metal finish or a stone finish? Do you need built-in storage? Would you like a fireplace with a removable ash tray to make it easier to clean? This will help you to make your final decision.
Best Outdoor Fireplace – Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Clean An Outdoor Fireplace?
Most outdoor fireplaces can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Make sure you use a lint free cloth and a non-scratchy material so that you don’t damage the metal.
What Fuel Do You Need For An Outdoor Fireplace?
All of the fireplaces we have recommended use wood as their fuel source.
Getting an outdoor fireplace will make a big difference to your garden. It will provide you with warmth and heat and a welcoming atmosphere.